The Food Pantry is one of the most established ministries at St. Mary’s Episcopal Church and one of the longest-running pantries in the area. Concerned by issues of hunger and poverty in the Upham’s Corner neighborhood of Dorchester, St. Mary’s Food Pantry was established in 1991 to help address the needs of those struggling to put food on their tables. Today the food pantry is staffed by volunteers and feeds approximately 450 low-income families (900+ individuals) from Dorchester, Roxbury, Jamaica Plain and other surrounding communities every month.
St. Mary’s food pantry is a member agency of the Greater Boston Food Bank and receives most of its food from this source. The pantry also relies on Partner churches, community groups and individuals to help keep its shelves stocked.
- Location: 14 Cushing Ave, Dorchester, very close to the intersection of Columbia Rd and Dudley St/Stoughton St
- Hours: Tuesdays from 9:30 -11:30 AM. Arrive early.
- Those in need of assistance may come to the pantry once a month to receive a variety of dry, canned and perishable food.
- ID is required at each visit. Please bring the IDs of anyone living in your household or apartment to the food pantry the first time you come.
- For information about Food Stamps and other free and low-cost food resources, call Project Bread’s Food Source Hotline: 1-800-645-8333.
Hands-on assistance during pantry hours (Volunteers arrive at 8:30-9am): client sign-in and registration, translating for non-English speaking clients, food storage and pantry maintenance.
- Planning and implementing a food drive on behalf of the pantry
- Translation of written materials such as pantry policies and procedures, etc. – most notably Spanish, Cape Verdean Creole and Portuguese
- Clerical assistance: telephone, written correspondence, etc.
- To learn more about volunteer opportunities or to request a Volunteer Application, please email rector[at]stmarysdorchester.org.
We’re so grateful for everyone who joins in our efforts! Donations of non-perishable dry and canned foods (no glass containers, please) are always welcome. For a “wish list” of most needed foods, to plan a food drive or to arrange a food delivery, please email rector[at]stmarysdorchester.org. You can also donate via our online system!
Donate to the food pantry online today!
(Select “Food Pantry” in the drop down menu)